Bobby Watson | Label: Smoke Sessions Records
– – –
Jazz Artistry Now – We are pleased to have the honor of reviewing the latest recording by Bobby Watson.
Made in America, his debut recording for Smoke Sessions Records calls attention to black pioneers in a diversity of disciplines and fields. Learn about each subject by clicking the names in the track titles below.
Mr. Watson is among rare company as a saxophonist and effortlessly plays any style of jazz. Formally trained as a composer (University of Miami), those skills landed him a job in 1981 as music director for Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers.
Look for our JAN review of Made in America in August.
Preview the album below courtesy of the label’s distributor, The Orchard Enterprises. Buy the music using the link at the bottom of this article.
1. The Aviator “For Wendell Pruitt” (Watson) 5:42
2. The Guitarist “For Grant Green“(Watson) 5:13
3. The Butterfly “For Butterfly McQueen” (Watson) 6:19
4. The Cyclist “For Major Taylor” (Watson) 7:52
5. The G.O.A.T. “For Sammy Davis, Jr.” (Watson) 6:44
6. The Entrepreneur “For Madam C.J. Walker” (Watson) 5:50
7. The Jockey “For Isaac Murphy” (Watson) 6:17
8. A Moment of Silence (Watson) 1:06
9. The Real Lone Ranger “For Bass Reeves” (Watson) 7:54
10. The Computer Scientist “For Dr. Mark Dean” (Watson) 4:02
11. I’ve Gotta Be Me (Marks) 6:42
Bobby Watson – alto saxophone, compositions
Curtis Lundy – bass
Stephen Scott – piano
Lewis Nash – drums
See – www.BobbyWatson.com
BUY THE MUSIC