Bobby Watson | Label: Smoke Sessions Records
– – –
Jazz Artistry Now – We are pleased to have the honor of reviewing the latest recording by Bobby Watson.
Made in America, his debut recording for Smoke Sessions Records calls attention to black pioneers in a diversity of disciplines and fields. Learn about each subject by clicking the names in the track titles below.
Mr. Watson is among rare company as a saxophonist and effortlessly plays any style of jazz. Formally trained as a composer (University of Miami), those skills landed him a job in 1977 as music director for Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers.
Preview the album below courtesy of the label’s distributor, The Orchard Enterprises. Buy the music using the link at the bottom of this article.
1. The Aviator “For Wendell Pruitt” (Bobby Watson) 5:42
2. The Guitarist “For Grant Green“(Bobby Watson) 5:13
3. The Butterfly “For Butterfly McQueen” (Bobby Watson) 6:19
4. The Cyclist “For Major Taylor” (Bobby Watson) 7:52
5. The G.O.A.T. “For Sammy Davis, Jr.” (Bobby Watson) 6:44
6. The Entrepreneur “For Madam C.J. Walker” (Pamela Baskin-Watson) 5:50
7. The Jockey “For Isaac Murphy” (Curtis Lundy) 6:17
8. A Moment of Silence (Bobby Watson) 1:06
9. The Real Lone Ranger “For Bass Reeves” (Bobby Watson) 7:54
10. The Computer Scientist “For Dr. Mark Dean” (Stephen Scott) 4:02
11. I’ve Gotta Be Me (Walter Marks) 6:42
Bobby Watson – alto saxophone, compositions
Curtis Lundy – bass
Stephen Scott – piano
Lewis Nash – drums
See – www.BobbyWatson.com
BUY THE MUSIC
The Jazz Artistry Now review of Made in America by Scott Yanow will be published in October.
Mr. Yanow has written 11 books on jazz, over 800 liner notes, and more than 20,000 recording reviews through the years. His writing has graced virtually all of the top jazz magazines and he is happy to be a new contributor to Jazz Artistry Now.