JAN VIDEO INTERVIEW
Jazz Artistry Now – Tate Berry is currently a student enrolled at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He’s a Jazz Studies major in the conservatory of music and a Business major in the Bloch School there.
Tate plays woodwinds, primarily saxophones, and also composes his own music. He studies music with the internationally renowned jazz artist, composer and educator, Professor Bobby Watson, among other esteemed faculty and staff.
JAN curated a short playlist of some great tunes, used the Zoom platform for this interview, and centered our interview discussion around the topics within the following ten questions for this article.
1. What is your field of study and why did you choose these areas?
2. How long have you been a student at the conservatory?
3. What is your favorite course so far, and why do you enjoy it?
4. What do you think will be your most useful course after graduation among those you’ve taken so far?
5. What advise would you give aspiring music majors in terms of pre-preparations?
6. What advise would you give regarding how to manage your time while in school?
7. How important has maintaining balance between courses, studying, practicing, and your life in general been?
8. What do you expect to do once you graduate with your degrees?
9. Do you expect to work in the industry or subsidize your art with a “day job?”
10. Do you have any other thoughts or comments that you’d like to share?
Underscore music is …
“Like Minds” by Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Roy Haynes, Dave Holland + Pat Metheny
“Cheesecake” by Dexter Gordon
“Chrystal Waves” by Chris Geith
“Spirit of Dolphy” by Phil Ranelin
“Infinite Blue” by Patrick Cornelius
MUSIC NOTE: YouTube licenses the music used in videos and the artists get royalties for this use. Cool. If you like the tunes we encourage you to get the albums they are on too. Thanks.